- Location : MPUMALANGA - SOUTH AFRICA
- Project Started : 01/08/19
- Project Duration : ONGOING
- Budget : $25000 per annum
At the core of what we do at Enviro Crime Solutionsis the investigation and processing of poaching crime scenes.
To date ECS has conducted in exccess of 300 rhino poaching scene investigations.
WHAT IS DONE DURING A FORENSIC INVESTIGATION
The basic principles of a poaching scene is exactly the same as any other crime scene with the exception of course that the "victim" is a 2.5 ton animal. Enviro Crime Solutions specifically specializes in the gathering of forensic evidence on rhino poaching scenes.
(although we often are involved in other poaching incidents such as pangolin and abalone poaching.)
As a result we came up with an innovative way in which we could best help the best students to achieve more by forging a long term relationship. Enviro Crime Solutions specifically looks for students who show an interest in conservation and sciences.
THE BASIC GOALS OF FORENSIC INVESTIGATIONS
- Processing the crime scene for evidence gathering.
- Gathering criminal evidence such as figerprints and human DNA.
- Determining the time & way the animal died.
- Building criminal cases against individuals or possibly syndicates.
- Gathering rhino DNA thru the RhODIS system.
- Linking cases to other investigations. (Intelleigence Mapping).
THE BASICS OF A FORENSIC INVESTIGATION
- Ranger patrols will find the carcass and in many cases give pursuit of the suspects.
- Regardless of whether a suspect is arrested the forensic team will "process" the crime scene.
- All forensic evidence and material will be catogorized and handed to the investigating officer who will add it to the evidence as part of the case file (docket).
- The rhino DNA will be taken and processed into the RhODIS rhino DNA database.
MAKE A DONATION
RhODIS® DNA MATCHING :
RhODIS® (Rhino DNA Index System) is a project that was initiated by the Veterinary Genetics Laboratory of the University of Pretoria in order to help with the plight of the rhinos. The Veterinary Genetics Laboratory is collecting DNA samples of rhinos across the country to create a database using the unique DNA profile of individual rhinos. The goal is for all rhinos to be on the system. This will deter poachers and assist in forensic prosecutions.
RhODIS® was first used in a rhino poaching case in 2010 and resulted in a Vietnamese citizen being sentenced to 10 years imprisonment for having rhinoceros horns from poached rhinos in his baggage when he was apprehended at OR Thambo International Airport. South African National Parks (SANParks) have partnered with RhODIS® since 2010 and in association with the Forensics Science Laboratory of the South African Police Services have played a key role in the development and implementation of the RhODIS® Kit for sample collection.
The RhODIS® system is a system whereby the DNA of rhino is captured and stored in a database. When the animal is poached or sold or moved to a different area the database is updated to refelct the information. In the case of anti poaching forensics the information of poached rhino is fed into the system which then allows for the tracing of rhino if the horn or other parts are recovered.
For example if a suspect is found in possession of rhino horn products or if a consignment of rhino horn is recovered then the origin of the horn can be traced back to either a previous owner or unfortunately in most cases a crime / poaching scene.
Read more about the RhODIS® system
- Extreme weather - Temperatures in Excess of 40'C.
- TDangerous Animals - Predators Elephant
- Mental Fatigue and PTSD symptoms.
- Physical Threats from Syndicates.
- Armed and Dangerous Criminals.
- Public Apathy and Lack of Knowledge
THE CHALLENGES OF AN INVESTIGATION
Enviro Crime Solutions has partnered with a variety of organizations to enable corporates to assist in the fight against poaching. These corporate giving platforms enable your business to assist in a seamless and hasle free donation program whilst gaining all the benefits of tax writeoffs and assistance in corporate donation at no charge to yourself or your company.
Should you require any asssitance please feel free to contact either the giving program of your choice or ourselves for assistance.